Environmental Nuisances

For Weipa to remain a nice place to live, work and visit, we need to be mindful of environmental nuisances that can impact our quality of life. Some of these nuisances are the responsibility of Weipa Town Authority (WTA), while others are not.

Nuisances which are not WTA's responsibility

Some nuisances are regulated by other government agencies, including:

  • Noise, light, dust and odour nuisances from commercial or industrial activities (including those which have an environmental licence). These are regulated by the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (DEHP). To contact DEHP click here or phone 1300 130 372. 
  • Noise from music, parties, and vehicles (including quad bikes and motorbikes). These are regulated by the Queensland Police Service (QPS). To contact the QPS, phone 07 4090 6000 or Policelink on 131 444. 
  • All other vehicle nuisances including driving cars, quads or motorbikes on roads, green belts or public land are regulated by the Queensland Police Service. To contact the QPS, call 07 4090 6000 or contact Policelink on 131 444. In an emergency, contact 000.
  • Noise from licensed premises. This is regulated by the Department of Justice and Attorney General. To lodge a complaint, you must complete an online form from the DJAG website.  You may also wish to contact the QPS in Weipa on (07) 4090 6000.

Noise nuisances 

There are legal limits on the amount and type of noise made in our community, as well as restrictions on the times noise can be made. These laws try to provide a balance between the protection of our quality of life, and the reasonable pursuit of activities that have the potential to annoy others.

WTA regulates excessive noise including:

  • Air-conditioning units 
  • Amplifiers (e.g. loudhailers) 
  • Power boat engines (on land) 
  • Pumps including pool and spa pumps 
  • Regulated devices including motor mowers, leaf blowers, power tools etc. 
  • Building works 
  • Refrigeration activities 
The Environmental Protection Act 1994 provides exemptions for noise created from traffic signals, railway signals and road noise. Other local government activity exemptions include road maintenance, maintaining water and sewage services, and preventing or removing public health risks.

Light nuisances

Lighting is often important in urban areas for safety reasons, but excessive lighting from office buildings or security lighting in residential or commercial areas can be a nuisance for some people.

WTA is responsible for regulating nuisance light emissions from residential premises and most commercial/industrial premises. Please note that the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection regulates nuisance light emissions from premises holding a licence with the DEHP. 

Dust, smoke or odour nuisances

The Environmental Protection laws also cover other unreasonable releases of various emissions, including dust, smoke, fumes and odour. Examples include:

  • Smoke or ash from burning off waste 
  • Aerosols from paint cans and other fine mists 
  • Fumes from petrol or diesel 
  • Dust from construction works 
  • Odour from composting or accumulated rubbish. 
Smoke, odour or fumes emitted from residential cooking are exempt from nuisance legislation.

Making a complaint

If you have a nuisance issue with a neighbour, we recommend that you first discuss all possible options for resolving the problem with your neighbour.

If this isn’t possible or practical, please contact WTA on 07 4030 9400 to discuss your concerns. 

If you wish WTA to progress your complaint, you will be required to supply us with certain information, including your contact details. Anonymous complaints cannot be taken or investigated. 

Your complaint will then be directed to a member of WTA’s Communities Department to investigate. Complaints to WTA are strictly confidential and we will never release a complainant’s details.