Rates are a contribution that each property owner makes towards the cost of providing facilities and services in the local community. These services include roads, drainage, water and sewerage infrastructure, waste collection facilities and public facilities like parks and libraries. If you own land, or are the lessee of State owned land, or the holder of Mining Leases or Claims, you are liable for the payment of rates.
The General Rate is calculated by multiplying the rate set by Weipa Town Authority (WTA) by the unimproved value of the land set by the Department of Natural Resources. Please see our Revenue Policy and Revenue statement for more information.
Weipa Town Authority issues rates twice a year, in February and August.
Discount on rates
A discount on General Rates will be applied if the total payable is paid in full by the discount due date. We are unable to extend the discount to payments made after the due date.
Please don’t leave payment until the due date itself, as we can’t take responsibility for the late processing of electronic payments by third parties.
Rating exemptions and remissions for charitable organisations
Some government bodies, educational and registered charitable organisations are exempt from paying rates. Please see our Rates based financial assistance for charitable organisations policy which explains WTA’s approach to rating exemptions and remissions for charitable organisations.
You may be eligible for a rate remission if you:
- Hold a Pensioner Concession Card, Department of Veteran Affairs Card or a Health Care Card, and
- Own and occupy a property as your principal place of residence on the 1 July; and
- Are liable for payment of rates.
If you meet this criteria, please complete and return the pension discount form.
How to pay your rates
- Online - This is our preferred method of payment. Click here to pay online
- BPAY - Look for details on your rates notice about how to pay by BPay.
- Credit card - Accounts can also be paid by Bankcard, MasterCard & Visa Credit card payments can be made by calling 07 4030 9400
- Mail - Cheques, money orders, or postal notes should be made payable to Weipa Town Authority.
- In person - Payment can be made at the Weipa Town Office by cash, cheque or EFTPOS, from 8.30am-4.00pm Monday to Friday.
Please note that receipts will not be issued unless requested.
Would you like to save paper?
You can now receive your rates notice by email.
To opt in for our paperless billing system please email us at:
firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information from your rates notice:
- Assessment Number
- Residential Address
- Owner Name
- Preferred Email Address