Building Approvals

House and keys

Building approval (certification) requirements

A building development approval (certification), known as a building permit, is required for most building works, including but not limited to:

  • new dwellings
  • alterations and additions to existing buildings (including new roofs)
  • house removal and relocation
  • demolitions
  • carports, shipping containers and sheds (including DIY kit type,due to Weipa being in a cyclonic region)
  • roofed patios, gazebos, pergolas and shade sails (including DIY kit type)
  • fences over 2 meters in height above the natural ground level
  • retaining walls over 1 meter in height above natural ground level or within 1.5m of a building or other retaining wall
  • swimming pools and spas

Approval is required if you are doing the building work yourself or employ the services of a licensed builder. You will need a private building certifier who will assess whether the proposed work complies with the Building Act 1975 and associated regulations and building standards. Please note Weipa Town Authority does not offer building certification services.

All building certifiers must be registered with the Queensland Building and Construction Commission.

Dispensation building work setback and size requirements

Should your proposal be within the policy setbacks and/or size requirements, you may apply for a siting dispensation. This should be done by your private certifier. Please note there is an additional fee for a siting dispensation application.

How to finalise a building approval

You will need to arrange a final inspection of your building works to ensure they meet the requirements of relevant legislation and standards.

The information below explains how to arrange a final inspection for a building approval.

Approvals issued by private building certifier 

Contact your private certifier to finalise the process. The certifier may require further inspections, documentation or fees.

If the required inspections have not been done, the original certifier (or another certifier) may be able to indicate what needs to be done to make the structure compliant with legislation and standards and any associated costs.

If the approval has lapsed, or you can't contact the original certifier, you will need to engage a new private building certifier to lodge a new development application and start the process from the beginning.

Further information about the certification process is available at the Department of Housing and Public Works website.

Building permit search

Buying property or land is a major decision and a large investment. To assist prospective property owners, details of existing approvals, certificates of classification and legal notices can be requested through Weipa Town Authority.

Building and planning compliance

Weipa Town Authority officers undertake random audits of development sites to ensure conditions of development are compliant and in accordance with all approvals.


Asbestos is dangerous when tiny fibres are inhaled.  The fibres can lodge in your lungs and eventually cause disease.

However, if it is in good condition, asbestos is not dangerous.

Exposure to damaged asbestos can cause 3 main diseases:

  • Asbestosis
  • Lung Cancer
  • Mesothelioma

Asbestos is commonly found in houses, buildings, sheds and many other areas in Weipa.  It is important to be aware of the potential risks, legislation, regulations, and code of practice with asbestos when conducting any renovations, minor maintenance and/or removal/demolition.

All information on asbestos with links to legislation, regulation and code of practice can be found on the Queensland Government website.