Getting to Weipa
- Weipa is accessible from the south by the Peninsula Developmental Road (PDR).
- The PDR links to the Telegraph Road for access north.
- Weipa is linked to Mapoon via the Mapoon Road.
We advise motorists to use caution on all roads and drive to prevailing conditions, particularly outside the Weipa Township. Cape York roads are mainly dirt roads and 4WD vehicles are strongly recommended.
Following the tips below will help you stay safe and avoid delays or risk:
- Prior to traveling, check the Queensland Government Traffic and Travel Information (see below), or visit the RACQ website to check on road works and closures. The Peninsular Developmental Road from Mareeba to Weipa and the Telegraph Road from Bamaga to Weipa may be closed during the wet season.
- Be extremely careful when crossing any stormwater on roadways. Do not attempt to traverse creeks and other crossings that are clearly under water.
- Check with locals as to road conditions. They often have the most up to date knowledge and conditions can change quickly in wet weather.
- Abide by road signs and warnings at all times, and particularly where roads are being maintained or graded.
- Take extra spare tyres and have a supply of food on board if traveling in wet weather, in case you get caught between rivers/creeks.
Find out more
- Queensland Government Traffic and Travel Information website or call 13 19 40
- RACQ Road Conditions Report
- Cook Shire Council - Cape York Roads Information or call (07) 4082 0500
- WTA Disaster Dashboard for information on river heights.
Return to top of page