COVID-19 Community Update 31st March 2020 9.15am
31st March 2020
HOME CONFINEMENT DIRECTION FROM THE QUEENSLAND CHIEF HEALTH OFFICER
The Queensland Chief Health Officer has made a Home Confinement Direction. This direction applies to all residents of Queensland.
All people must stay in their homes except for:
- shopping for essentials - food and necessary supplies;
- medical or health care needs, including compassionate requirements;
- exercise with no more than one other person (unless from your household);
- providing care or assistance to an immediate family member;
- work and study if you can’t work or learn remotely.
Failure to comply with public health directions
- A person to whom a public health direction applies must comply with the direction unless the person has a reasonable excuse.
Maximum penalty—100 penalty units. The current penalty unit in Queensland is $133.00 (maximum $13300.00)
TRAVEL RESTRICTIONS INTO WEIPA
The Australian Government have commenced enforcing travel restrictions regarding people entering into designated biosecurity zones.
This means that the State Government is now controlling the entry process into these designated areas across Cape York, including Weipa.
The categories for eligibility for entry into Weipa is outlined in this legislation .
Please be aware that if you are not conducting an essential activity, as listed in the legislation, you will need to demonstrate that you:
- Have been isolated from the general public for 14 days before entry into Weipa;
- Have not shown signs and symptoms of Coronavirus;
- You have not been exposed to the virus or to someone with symptoms of Coronavirus
- And complete a Special Consideration to Enter Communities application prior to entry. Please submit completed forms to firstname.lastname@example.org at least 2 business days prior to travelling.
This new legislation also means that residents are permitted to travel within their designated biosecurity area, however all local restrictions (i.e. closure of country) must be adhered to. Please see here the Queensland Designated BioSecurity Area map https://www.niaa.gov.au/sites/default/files/publications/Designated_Biosecurity_Areas_Qld.pdf
The Weipa LDMG implores all residents to listen to the Australian Government’s recommendation to stay home unless you are: shopping for essentials, receiving medical care, exercising or travelling to work or education.
Please be aware that due to the evolving nature of the COVID-19 situation, advice and information is changing rapidly. We advise all residents to check in on our dashboard and social media for updates on local information. QLD health should continue to be your first point of contact for any COVID-19 developments. Visit https://www.health.qld.gov.au/. The Federal Government also has a range of resources including a WhatsApp channel and Coronavirus Australia Government app available. Please visit www.health.gov.au for more information.
LINKS TO TRAVEL RESTRICTIONS IN THE CAPE
Non-essential travel restrictions to Napranum community:
All access to DOGIT except essential services closed
Travel Restrictions To and From Mapoon
Travel Restrictions To and From Aurukun:
NPA and Torres Strait:
Travel Restrictions To and From the NPA area and the Torres Strait