Town Planning Community Consultation
From the 15th October to 23rd November 2018, Weipa Town Authority will be holding a community consultation on the new Draft Weipa Planning Scheme 2018 and Local Government Infrastructure Plan (LGIP) 2018. This is your opportunity to let us know if we've got it right or tell us how we can make it better.
Proposed New Planning Scheme for Weipa Town Authority and Local Government Infrastructure Plan
Have your say on future planning for Weipa!
Now is the time to get involved with the proposed new Weipa Town Authority (WTA) Planning Scheme 2018 and Local Government Infrastructure Plan (LGIP) 2018.
If we’ve got it right let us know, if we can make it better, tell us how.
Lodge a formal submission during the public consultation period from Monday, 15th October to Friday, 23rd November 2018.
View the proposed new Town Planning Scheme
About Weipa’s Planning Scheme
Planning Schemes and Infrastructure plans support growth and assist in managing development in regional, remote and urban centre communities across Queensland. The Planning Scheme and LGIP set out Weipa Town Authority’s intention for development in the Planning Scheme area over the next ten (10) years.
The planning instruments seek to advance state and regional policies, including State Planning Policies and the Far North Queensland Regional Plan, through more detailed local responses taking into account the local context.
Weipa has a special set of values, expressed in the Weipa Community Plan 2012-2020, that sets our community apart from other places and creates a sense of identity for the town and these are encapsulated in the Draft WTA Planning Scheme.
Through these documents, we seek to enhance planning, development and the coordinated operation of Weipa as a regional centre into the future and protect our significant cultural, environmental and social values. This will encourage growth and investment into the region alongside our mining and commodities industries.
Meet a Town Planner
Have questions about the planning scheme? Town planners will be available for consultation during the following dates and times at the WTA office:
Monday 15 October 2:00pm to 4:00pm
Tuesday 16 October 11:00am to 4:00pm
Wednesday 17 October 8:30am to 12:00pm
Making Your Submission
Make your say count – under the Sustainable Planning Act 2009, for a submission to be considered it must be ‘properly made’, which means submissions must:
- be in writing and, unless the submission is lodged electronically, be signed by each person who made the submission;
- state the name and residential or business address of each person who made the submission;
- state the grounds of the submission and the facts and circumstances relied on in support of those grounds; and
- be received by the Weipa Town Authority during the submission period 8.00am on Monday, 15th October to 4:00pm Friday, 23rd November 2018.
Submissions can be made:
- Via email to firstname.lastname@example.org (please add “Weipa Town Plan and/or LGIP Submission” in the subject line)
- In writing to Attn: Weipa Draft Planning Scheme/ LGIP, PO Box 420, Weipa QLD 4874
- In person at 1 Hibberd Drive, Rocky Point
Note: All submissions will be published on the WTA website.
For further information, please contact Weipa Town Authority’s Planning and Building officer on (07) 4030 9400 during normal business hours, or send an email to email@example.com.